Abstracts – NOW OPEN!
The WIO Summer Symposium is the perfect venue to present your current research projects. Consider submitting an abstract in the areas of original research, patient care, education or technology.
Accepted abstracts will be invited to present a poster. The top scoring abstract will be presented the Joanne Angle Poster of Distinction Award and will have the honor of giving an oral presentation, will receive a certificate, and a $200 monetary reward. Two runners-up will also receive the honor of giving an oral presentation during the symposium and will receive certificates and recognition in the final program. The purpose of these awards is to encourage women in their research efforts and to highlight the top-scoring abstracts in the areas of original research, educational value, and relevance to patient care.
- ABSTRACTS – DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MAY 12th!
- Changes to abstracts may not be made past the submission deadline.
- Abstracts should be submitted by the Presenting Author.
- All submissions must have at least one WIO member as an author of the poster.
- Abstracts should not exceed 300 words.
- By submitting this abstract, Presenting Author agrees to be available and present during the Poster Session on Friday, August 27 or Saturday, August 28, 2020.
- WIO will notify the Presenting Author of the status of their abstract by email in early June.
- Applications are masked and peer-reviewed by the Summer Symposium Abstract Committee.
- To take advantage of Early Bird registration rates, Presenting Authors are strongly encouraged to register for the Summer Symposium prior to being notified about the acceptance of their abstract. Early Bird rates will not be honored after May 5, 2021.
- Presenting Authors who are accepted for a poster presentation MUST register for the Summer Symposium by June 15, 2021. No exceptions. Those who are accepted, but do not register prior to June 15 will be considered withdrawals and will not be included in the final program.
- All live posters will also be featured in the virtual portion of the meeting.
SURGICAL & LIFE HACKS VIDEO COMPETITION
WIO is accepting abstracts for surgical videos and life hacks videos!
Your surgical video abstract will be reviewed by the Abstract Review Committee. The highest scoring abstracts will be invited to submit a video. Videos that are selected will be presented during the Summer Symposium.
Life Hacks Videos
Got a simple trick or tool that makes your life easier? More productive? From self-care, to style, to cooking, to childcare – to ophthalmology – we want to hear about your best Life Hacks! The submissions will be judged by a panel and the winners will be featured at the Summer Symposium.SUBMIT YOUR VIDEO ABSTRACT
- Deadline for abstract submissions is May 12th, 2021.
- Changes to abstracts may not be made past the submission deadline.
- All submissions must have at least one WIO member as a contributor on the abstract.
- WIO will notify the submitter of the status of their abstract by email in early June. Accepted abstracts will be asked to submit a video.
- All video abstracts and videos will be peer-reviewed by the WIO Summer Symposium Abstract Committee.
- Video producers who are accepted for video presentation MUST register for the Summer Symposium by June 15, 2021. No exceptions. Those who are accepted, but do not register prior to June 15 will be considered withdrawals and will not be included in the final program.
The Video Submission Process requires completion of two steps:
- Submit a Video Abstract by the May 12th deadline.
- If your abstract is selected, your Senior Producer will be provided an upload link with instructions for submitting the video. Only Senior Producers who completed an abstract by the deadline can upload a video.
The title of an abstract may not exceed 120 characters. Use title case (both upper-and lowercase letters as appropriate). No special formatting is needed.
Senior Producer / Co-Producer(s)
A limit of two (2) submissions as Senior Producer and four (4) overall per meeting.
WIO reserves the right to disqualify submissions that exceed these limits.
Each submission must include at least one WIO Member.
The Senior Producer does not need to be a WIO member but must attend the Summer Symposium and pre-register by June 15, 2021.
- Submitters are required to provide contact information for all co-producers, including name and email address.
Be as specific as possible when making your selection; you may only select one topic.
Do not repeat the title in the abstract body. The word limit per submission is approximately 120-150 words (max of 1,000 characters for the body of the abstract, including spaces). If the abstract is too long, it will not be successfully submitted. You do not need to include headings in video abstracts.
Video submissions require a Background Statement (250 characters) as part of the application. This is an opportunity to relay additional information to the selection committee and should not be an exact duplication of the abstract text. The Background Statement is a succinct statement explaining the background of why this study was undertaken or reported. This text will not be published and is for the use of the selection committee.
Producers should be prepared to enter information regarding IRB approval, time limits and copyright authorization into the application:
Video Abstracts will be judged according to educational value, originality, scientific content, clarity and expert use of medium. If your abstract is selected, you will be invited to submit a video. To help you prepare your video submission, please follow the following specifications:
- The maximum length of video presentations is 5 minutes, although 3 minutes is preferred.
- Videos may be formatted in MPEG, AVI, WMV, or QuickTime (MOV) with a maximum resolution of 1280×720.
- MPEG-4 is the preferred format.
- Do not use DivX compression.
- Videos must be in the final, edited version with sound in English.
- Videos should include a 20-30 second introduction during which all authors are credited and any and all financial interest is acknowledged. Financial disclosure is required even if the producer has no financial interest.
- Even though disclosure has been made, videos should not promote the use of any commercial product.
- Please ensure that you have permission to use any image presented as part of the video. This includes a license for copyrighted material and release forms from any patient(s) recognizable in the video.
- Use of copyrighted music or materials is forbidden without written authorization. By submitting your video under these instructions, you represent that you have or do not need such authorization and you agree to indemnify and defend the WIO from all claims based on copyright infringement.
Do not hesitate to contact [email protected] with any questions.