Submit an Abstract – Call for abstracts is now closed
Three abstract awards will be given this year!
- Joanne Angle Poster of Distinction Award: This award will be given to the abstract receiving the highest overall score. The presenting author will have the honor of giving an oral presentation during the Summer Symposium. The presenting author will also receive a certificate, recognition in the final program and a $200 monetary award.
- Two runners-up will also receive the honor of giving an oral presentation during the Summer Symposium, will receive certificates and recognition in the final program.
The purpose of these awards is to encourage women in their research efforts and to highlight the top scoring abstracts in the areas of original research, educational value, and relevance to patient care.
*The Women in Ophthalmology (WIO) Abstract Committee will review and select abstracts for posters and complicated case presentations. Notification fo poster acceptance will be made in late May. Please coordinate your travel arrangements to accommodate the scheduled time for your presentation.Submit Abstract or Complicated Case
Submission Dates and Deadlines
- Abstracts will be accepted from February 1, 2017 – April 15, 2017
- Complicated cases will be accepted from February 1, 2017 -April 15, 2017
- Abstracts should be written and submitted by the presenting author. Abstracts written and submitted by industry personnel on behalf of a doctor are not allowed.
- All submissions must have at least one WIO member as an author of the poster or complicated case presentation.
- All submissions must be emailed by the deadline. Changes to the abstracts may not be made after the deadline.
- WIO will notify the presenting author of the status of the submitted abstract by email.
Abstract Preparation – Submission Guidelines & Checklist
Applications are blinded and peer-reviewed by the Summer Symposium Abstract Committee.
Checklist for Abstract Content
The Summer Symposium Abstract Committee has developed a checklist for abstract preparation with the objective of assisting prospective program participants in preparing the best possible abstract for submission. All abstracts are considered equally for selection, and the quality of the abstract is the single most important factor in the committee’s decision. Please follow the checklist below to help shape your abstract submission.
- Is the title of the abstract descriptive?
- Does the title avoid gratuitous statements and irrelevant information? Statements of author(s) affiliation are not allowed, as abstracts are evaluated anonymously.
- Is the précis and background statement complete?
- Does the abstract contain the four required headings for review?:
Note: These headings are not required for Complicated Case Presentations. Abstracts with statements such as “will be done,” “will be studied,” “will be under way,” “will be analyzed,” will not be selected.
- Did you include sample size, study duration and follow-up, and descriptions of techniques used?
Learn more about WIO membership here or contact Marketing & Meeting Coordinator, Lauren Ecke.
Notifications of acceptance will be sent in mid-May. All accepted abstracts will present a poster during the Summer Symposium.
Individuals are responsible for printing their own poster.
Posters should be sized to fit a 4-foot-high x 3-foot-wide poster display board.
All abstracts accepted for presentation and properly registered by July 1, 2017 will be published in PDF format on the WIO website.
Abstract/case/video submitters who are accepted for presentation MUST register to attend the meeting by July 1, 2017. Submitters who are accepted, but do not register prior to July 1 will be considered withdrawals, and will not be included in the Final Program or Abstract Supplement.
Withdrawals must be received in writing before July 1, 2017. Abstracts may not be withdrawn after this day.
Please contact Lauren Ecke. Marketing and Membership Coordinator at (414) 359-1610 x 1121.