Nominations Due Monday, October 5th, 2020 5 pm PST
The WIO Emerging Leader Award recognizes individuals who are newer to practice and have already made significant contributions to WIO and/or to the profession, and have demonstrated the potential for leadership and continuing service. The nominee must be in her first 10 years of the study or practice of ophthalmology. Specific examples of continuing activities must be provided.
Individual must be a WIO member if chosen for this award.
To recognize a member of Women in Ophthalmology who is newer to practice and has already made significant contributions to WIO and/or to the profession and has demonstrated the potential for leadership and continuing service. The nominee must be in her first 10 years of study or practice of ophthalmology. Specific examples of continuing activities must be provided.
Qualifications and Criteria
- The nominee must be a WIO member who has demonstrated a pattern of leadership and continuing service to Women in Ophthalmology. 300 words maximum
- The nominee will have demonstrated significant contributions within the first 10 years of starting her career in ophthalmology. The impact should demonstrate leadership qualities and continuing service to the community. Explain how this nominee exhibits these qualities.
- The service must have been above and beyond the usual service commitment they already provide as part of their routine job responsibilities.
- Only one such award may be given to an individual during his or her lifetime.
Selection of Recipients
The Nominating Committee of the WIO (led by the Immediate past president) will consider nominations that meet the qualifications and criteria above and that are received by the deadline. The selection committee will verify references of the nominee, and if necessary gather additional information in making their determination.
Selection of the award recipient will be determined on the basis of factors including, but not limited to: leadership skills and service to WIO and/or the profession over time; recommendations of the nominating organization and/or individuals identified in the nomination form, or others whom the committee may consult. Only one recipient will be selected. This award may not be given yearly if the committee feels that there are not enough qualified applicants.
Nominations are solicited from organizations or individuals.
Submit a nomination by completing the form (linked below) in its entirety. Hand written nomination forms will not be accepted.
The application includes the following requirements:
- Describe in detail the characteristics that explain why this individual is successful in helping WIO and/or the profession.
- How does this individual exemplify the qualities of an Emerging Leader specifically in reference to WIO’s mission?
- Explain what this individual has done to deserve this award.
- A letter of recommendation must be included with the nomination form.
Andrea Tooley, MD
Janice Law, MD
Purnima Patel, MD
Kara Cavuoto, MD
Erin Shriver, MD
Carolyn Kloek, MD